Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Birchbox: November 2012

"Hem your blessings with thankfulness so they don't unravel." - Unknown

I received my November Birchbox yesterday. This month's box shipped about a week late because of Hurricane  Sandy but the box made pretty good time considering how strongly the Birchbox offices were hit by the storm. This month I received some really great sized samples and a really good balance of lifestyle/makeup products. Here's what was in my box:

The theme of this month's box is: Give

 


1) Caldrea: Hand Soap



I received two small paper packets of hand soap in "Crimson Pear Ginger" and "Mandarin Vetiver". I haven't  opened the packets to smell them yet but the scents sound very intriguing. I'm always interested in finding a good hand soap so I really liked having these samples included in the box. They're also a great size to keep in your purse or travel case for those little emergencies on the go.

Three Leaves * * *

2) Feeling Smitten: Holiday Bath Bomb

This was my favorite sample in the box. When I found out that BB was including cupcake bath bombs in some boxes this month I hoped very much that one would find its way into mine. It was pretty crumbly when I opened the box and some of the product had spilled out of the plastic bag into the box. Birchbox says that the bomb contains almond and coconut oils to moisturize your skin. I'm excited to take a fun birthday bath with this cupcake! Can't wait to see how it smells.

Five leaves! * * * * *

3) ModelCo: Fibre LashXtend Lengthening Mascara


This false lash mascara has tiny fibers that attach to your lashes as you sweep the mascara wand over your lashes. The sample is full size and has a little mirror on the back so you can apply with ease. I have been weary about using fiber lash extension mascara because I'm scared about getting the fibers in my eyes. This is one of those samples that is super nice to have because I would never buy this product (or fake lashes in general) for myself. I would only really use this product if I were going out and wanted to try something fun and new, but I don't expect to use it regularly. For best results, curl lashes before application. Here is a picture of my lashes after I used this product:
 (sorry that the picture is sideways)

Four Leaves * * * *

4) Oscar Blandi: Pronto Texture Spray


I've been in the market for a texturizing spray for a couple of month so I was excited that this product was included in my box. The sample size is great for travel and on-the-go, but sadly I wasn't very enchanted with this product. I didn't really find a difference in the texture or volume of my hair after initial use and I can't get over how bad the smell of this product is. This spray just stinks. As I've said before, I think that hair products should always smell fantastic. In all, I'm really happy BB included this in my box so that I didn't take a chance and buy a full size product of something I don't like.

2 Leaves * *

5) Stella Cadenta: Miss Me Eau de Parfum

There are a lot of mixed feelings about including perfume samples in each month's Birchbox, with a lot of people arguing that these samples are essentially free and easily obtainable from the makeup counter and that they are included too often, but I actually enjoy getting a new scent each month. My first month I received Viva La Juicy La Fleur and I totally fell in love and had to purchase a full size. I haven't felt as strongly about any of the other samples I've received, but it's still nice to have them. I'm also the person who LOVES when magazines have perfume ads in them, even though they rarely smell like the perfume in the bottle.

With that said, I hated this sample. It is supposed to smell like "exotic blossoms and a subtle powdery finish," but it just smells like baby powder (and not in a fresh way, in a changing diaper way). The only thing I liked about this sample was the packaging.

One Leaf *

Lifestyle Extra: SoyJoy Cranberry Bar


No. Just no. Couldn't eat more than a couple bites.

One Leaf *

And one last addition to the box: Birchbox Gift Box

Birchbox included a small gift envelope for you to give someone you love a little Thanksgiving surprise. It's a very cute idea. Maybe I'll pass along the eau de baby powder...

Well that's it for November's Birchbox. All in all, I was very pleased with this box, even if I didn't love everything. I feel like a lot of Birchbox subscribers are becoming very disillusioned with BB, but I've been very happy with my subscription so far.

Birchbox is a monthly beauty sample subscription that costs $10 a month. Get yours here.

d.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you enjoy your deliveries so much. I am love to be surprised in similar ways, since you typically discover things that you never knew you'd always wanted. :-)

    ReplyDelete